Croutons on the Fly -- Made Great Chicken Salad

Sunday, November 1, 2009 by Jen · 0 comments
Filed under:

I don't know about you, but I always throw the end crusts of my bread into the freezer (because no one will eat them). Once I have an entire bread bag full of crust, I will usually make baked croutons or bread crumbs, but this takes a little time and planning on my part.

So I was very excited to see this recipe for last minute croutons--and I had the perfect chance to use them tonight!

After a busy, busy weekend, Sunday evening came and we all had crashed! My daughter and I attended a baby shower earlier in the day, my middle guy was as cranky as could be because we were up late the night before (family Halloween party), and the time change did us all in.

So after the Viking/Packer game ended, we needed to eat a light dinner--not big because we had popcorn during the game--but I needed to get some nutrition into my family after all of that Halloween sugar.

So I pulled a package of precooked chicken chunks out of the freezer, defrosted a bit in the microwave and finished warming them on the store. For the croutons, I didn't have the recipe in front of me, so I basically cut up some of my frozen bread, put in fry pan, sprinkled olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and basil and fried them up until they were a bit crusty.

I had torn lettuce leaves already in my salad spinner in the fridge--so I cut up the lettuce, put chicken and croutons on top, and topped with shredded mozzarella--and it was a delicious salad. The croutons were crunchy on the outside but yet a little bit soft on the inside--they were really yummy and definitely added a lot to the salad! Paired with a strawberry banana smoothie, it was a great Sunday evening meal. (There was a bit of work involved, but the pre-cooked chicken and pre-cleaned lettuce actually made it pretty quick and simple.)

Works for me--and my kids ate a good portion of protein and fruit. I can go to bed tonight knowing I've done my Mom job for one night. Hope you all have a great week!




Comments

0 comments to "Croutons on the Fly -- Made Great Chicken Salad"

Let Me Know What You Think!

You are free to comment anonymously, but it is so much nicer to know who I am talking to. So select Name/URL below (leave URL blank if you like), and share your question/comment--I look forward to hearing what you have to say! Thanks for reading!