My Cents on Bread

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 by Jen · 5 comments
Filed under:


So I've been having some issues with bread these days. My family eats a lot of bread. We like sandwiches. We like toast. This summer, we ate a lot of the "split top wheat" because it had more slices in it than the whole grain, and it often went on sale for $1 a loaf--can't beat that. So lately, I've switched back to buying 100 percent whole grain bread. Hence my problem: I want inexpensive whole grain bread! I am unwilling to pay over $2 a loaf, and I definitely won't pay 3 something for the name brand bread. So I buy store brand bread, but where should I buy it:

Aldi -- You know I love Aldi, and right now I think there 100 percent whole wheat bread sells for around $1.69. But a few too many times, their bread has been dry. For a while I refused to buy bread there, but I recently picked up a few loaves, and was surprised at the texture--very good. But then we had another dry one. Should I chance it and keep buying? It's not a good deal if it's cheap but dry.

Rainbow --Their whole wheat bread doesn't have the texture I want. Feels too much like the split top bread, so I don't know if it's healthy. (I don't have the ingredient list in front of me, but is supposedly is made with 100% whole wheat, but not sure if whole grain). It's a smaller loaf than the split wheat and sells in the $1.90's.

Cub -- Their store brand whole wheat bread is probably my favorite and sells in the $1.90's as well.

Making Whole Grain Bread -- We need sandwich bread, and what I have been able to produce in the breadmaker just doesn't work for sandwiches.

Bread Outlet Stores -- If you know of a good one in the South or West metro area, let me know? I haven't found one, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

So what did I buy this week???? Well I was heading to Rainbow today and we were sadly out of bread (as my unhappy hubbie was trying to make a sandwich to take to work). And since the budget was tight, I picked up two loaves of the split top wheat for $1.75 each. Not my best choice, but at least we have bread.

So please share your opinion and help me out. Where do you buy the best bread? What do you consider when buying your bread? I can't believe I'm blogging about bread but it's a topic that my mind keeps coming back to.





Comments

5 comments to "My Cents on Bread"
  1. I found a bread that we love, it's by Nature's Pride and it's called "100% Natural, Stone ground, Whole Wheat with honey" There are 3g of fiber per slice, 16 slices per bag. I bought it this week for $1.98/bag. But I've been able to find it at Cub in EP on sale (usually in racks at the end of the freezer isles) for 2 for $4.00 and then a removable coupon on the bag for something like $.75/1 of $1/2. When I find this I stock up my freezer, it's double bagged so it comes out perfectly when defrosted.

    I agree the split top wheat is cheap and the loaf is big, but it's so soft I don't think there's much nutrition in it. This one is the perfect combo of good for you and not dry at all and the taste is really nice.

    My husband loves to use the bread machine too but I'm not a fan because it doesn't stay fresh long enough. It's only good warm right out of the oven which is great for company when you know it will all get eaten.

    Good luck on your search!

  2. Hi Jen, I didn't realize how lucky I was with the bread. I used to be VERY lucy with an outlet about 6 blocks away. Now I have to drive 20 min to get to the outlet. However, I do hate driving. I shop the outlet in Eagan.

  3. I am in the same boat! We are not fans of the "split top wheat" but guess what is in our fridge? I just cannot fork over $3+ for the bread we like anymore with our tighter budget. :( I am going to look for the Nature's Pride Ground that Angel mentioned - I hope our little Cash Wise offers it. I do plan to attempt to make some bread, I've found a couple easy recipes online. But first I have to find the time!

  4. I don't have any good advice on where to get cheap bread that is healthy and tastes good, I am still searching for that myself.

    But, if you like the bread your bread maker makes but just don't like the shape, you could take it out of the bread maker before it bakes and put it in a pan to bake in the oven. That way you let the machine do the hard work of kneading/mixing it but still get a normal shape that you can slice for sandwiches. My mom used to do this and it turned out great.

  5. Thanks for all of the comments--such great ideas! You know I have been meaning to try Valerie's tip on mixing the dough in the bread maker but baking in the big oven--I'll let you know once I give it a try! Great idea!

Let Me Know What You Think!

You are free to comment anonymously, but it is so much nicer to know who I am talking to. So select Name/URL below (leave URL blank if you like), and share your question/comment--I look forward to hearing what you have to say! Thanks for reading!