Menu Planning Before Grocery Shopping

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 by Jen · 1 comments
Filed under:

I can't believe it's already Wednesday, and I haven't posted at all. We've been playing catch up at our house. I finally got thank you cards in the mail for my middle guy's 5th birthday and my babe's baptism. I'm terrible at timely thank yous--when will I learn!

And we've been working on the laundry. I was almost two weeks behind (we've been pulling clean clothes from the baskets--I know--at least they're clean! And I finally had to ask my husband (who is home most mornings) for HELP! I'm very blessed to have a very efficient husband who will do laundry. At the same time, it frustrates me that he can get all of the laundry done in one morning--something that would take me at least a week to accomplish--seriously! I even had to check the kid's rooms to make sure he got it all--and he did! I'm starting a new laundry system--I'll let you know how it's working!

Whew! Glad to get all that off my chest! I actually sat down on Sunday and planned out our family menu for the week, so thought I'd share it with you as part of my grocery budget planning. My goal is to eat the food we have on hand for this week's menu, and most of the groceries I buy this week will go to plan next week's meals. It's working ahead a little--but not too much.

It's hard for me to plan each day--locking in to a strict schedule just doesn't work for me. So I plan an assortment of meals to chose from. The KEY is to pick your meals the day or two before so your frozen meat is defrosted!

So here you go. You will notice lots of apple recipes. I have apples galore from the orchard and from Aldi last week.

Breakfast (we also have fruit at every breakfast):
1 Lazy Granola --(I love Amy's recipes! I made this last week, and my middle guy (who eats nothing but PB&J these days) LOVED it! Felt good that he was at least getting some whole grains! And so easy)
2 Baked Apple Pancakes (see upcoming post for recipe)
3 Eggs
4 cereal
5 toast
6 yogurt (I'm getting lots of free yogurt by doubling coupons at Rainbow on Weds)

Lunch (also fruit and raw veggies)
1. tortillas with melted cheese
2 salami sandwiches
3 chicken nuggets--homemade (DS loved them; DD didn't--can't win them all)
4 bologna sandwiches
5 leftovers

Dinner (usually paired with vegetable, starch, and perhaps a fruit)
1 Tacos
2 Pork Loin
3 Hamburgers, potatoes, corn
4 Salmon (we like the Aldi's frozen in 4 servings for $3.99)
5 Chicken Noodle Casserole
6 Pizza (frozen)
7 Chicken Pesto Pasta

Snacks
1. apple muffins
2 chocolate pumpkin muffins
3. Cinnamon Butternut Squash muffins (want to try these--do you think it will work with acorn squash?)
4 popcorn
5 almonds (love the price at Trader Joe's)
6 Smoothies
7 string cheese

Desserts
1 apples with caramel
2 apple crisp




Comments

1 comments to "Menu Planning Before Grocery Shopping"
  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Let Me Know What You Think!

You are free to comment anonymously, but it is so much nicer to know who I am talking to. So select Name/URL below (leave URL blank if you like), and share your question/comment--I look forward to hearing what you have to say! Thanks for reading!