I Love Beef in Bulk! Cook and Freeze!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 by Jen · 0 comments
Filed under:


Can I just say that I love beef in bulk--frozen in my freezer. Lately, it has saved me from running out to fast food or feeding my child peanut butter and jelly--again. Just last night, I needed to take a stash of meat from my freezer. I was planning to make a beef roast that was defrosting in the fridge, but the day got away from me (too much budgeting on the mind), and I didn't get it in the oven in time. So at 4:30, I was trying to figure out what I was going to make. So, I pulled out some frozen pre-cooked beef, put it together with some pasta and pasta sauce and I had dinner in 15 minutes. I know this is not a fancy recipe, but it worked for me.

I love having cooked beef in the freezer because there are so many quick and easy dishes I can build in a matter of minutes--pasta, tacos, sloppy joes, chili, etc. Having the beef on hand helps me plan for the times when I haven't done my menu planning. I also HATE paying full price for meat, and buying your meat/protein on sale is one of the best ways to save at the grocery store.

Basically what I do is get out my largest fry pan and brown the beef with chopped onion and green pepper. I will season with salt, pepper, and some Worcestershire sauce. Depending on how I feel and what I have on hand, I might throw in some other diced or shredded veggies (celery, mushrooms, zucchini, squash). The other thing I like to do is mix ground turkey with ground beef--tastes great and still has that ground beef color and texture.

Then I package it in 1 or 2 cup servings and freeze in plastic containers or bags. According to one of my favorite cookbooks, Cheap, Fast, Good, you should be able to get 3 cups from every pound of cooked beef.


I might also boil up some pasta, pre-mix the meat with some pasta sauce, and freeze with cheese on top--now ready to pull out of the freezer and bake.

Don't kid yourself--this still takes time and energy! You might have to stop and entertain the kids, feed the baby, leave the mess while heading off to soccer practice, but seriously, the savings at the store and the food in the freezer is so worth it!




Comments

0 comments to "I Love Beef in Bulk! Cook and Freeze!"

Let Me Know What You Think!

You are free to comment anonymously, but it is so much nicer to know who I am talking to. So select Name/URL below (leave URL blank if you like), and share your question/comment--I look forward to hearing what you have to say! Thanks for reading!